Johnny also known as Moorcroft Mill
Johnny Mill was a fulling mill built by Hull Brook in 1787. A Deed indicates that it
was built by three local clothiers, John Kenworthy of Castleshaw, Abraham Gartside
of Water Cote, and James Rhodes of Castle Hill Cote. Kenworthy sold his share to the other two in 1788.
The mill was built at Moorcroft on land 20yds x 20yds-called Pingle, and a Deed of 1788 refers to –
“liberty to erect a weir in the brook for the purpose of running water to the mill by a goit; to hang cloth to dry in the close called Pingle…. and liberty to make a reservoir 30yds from the north side of the mill, and 12yds in breadth.”
A 1794 Deed also refers to land for a road through Old Hey at Millcroft, from the road between Grange and the Huddersfield Turnpike.
Gartside and Rhodes continued in occupation of the mill. Both owned warehouses and dyehouses at their places of residence; Gartside at Marled Earth Nook, and Rhodes at Castle Hill Cote. William and Thomas, the sons of James Rhodes leased Woodhouse Mill from 1817 and traded there as James Rhodes and Sons until 1848. A James Rhodes also had interests in wool manufacturing and dyeing at Old Hey between 1819-52.
In 1798 Abraham Gartside’s share of the mill came into the ownership of James Gartside of Castle Hill Cote, and on his death in 1820 it passed to his brother Abraham of Marled Earth Nook.
Abraham’s son, Abraham (Jun) was a wool broker in Liverpool, and in 1830 he came into possession of a half share in the mill. By this time it was referred to locally as Johnny Mill.
The first reference to the scribbling process was in a Deed of 1832, but the exact date of such is not clear. The mill at this time however was most certainly occupied by James Rhodes and Abraham Gartside.
In 1844 the mill was occupied by James Rhodes of Old Hey, William Rhodes of Delph and Abraham Gartside of Liverpool.
Rhodes’ share and ownership passed to William Whitehead of Dobcross and subsequently to Abraham Gartside of Liverpool in 1849.
It continued as a fulling, scribbling and carding mill, and was disposed of to George Scholefield of Liverpool in 1868. It was in that year that the Pollution Committee reported that the mill employed 60 people, had a 17h.p. steam engine, and a 4h.p. water wheel. In 1870 Edwin Mellor who paid Rates of £52/16/0 occupied the mill. He was referred to as a “carder”.
By 1875 the mill was in the occupancy of Joseph Buckley and Sons who produced shawl and flannel. These people moved to Linfitts Mill when Johnny Mill closed for reservoir construction in 1879. The building itself was used to house the navvies during reservoir construction.
This is a picture of the millpond, taken from below Castleshaw Reservoir. The village of Delph can be seen in the background. Hull Mill, millpond is also visible in the upper left of the picture.