Hull Mill was situated at the side of Hull Brook at the lower end of Castleshaw Valley and at the northern end of the gorge section leading down to Eagle Mill, which contained the millpond for this mill. The mill is also located on the old track between Sandbed and Grange, which is forded at this point. The significance of this last feature is that all the land in this vicinity was owned by various members of the Scholefield family.
A Deed dated October l787 refers to the
"new erected mill of John Scholefield of Sandbed, a gentleman."
By this indenture Scholefield was given permission to use...
"the stream flowing through a close belonging to Benjamin Scholefield of Grange called Marled Earth Foot at Grange, with liberty to make a goit and weir...."
It seems likely that this mill was intended surprisingly in this area, for cotton manufacture. By 1789 the mill was occupied as a cotton mill by George Salvan.
A further Deed dated September 1789 relates to the construction of the mill dam. By this indenture John Scholefield was granted permission by his brother James of Sandbed to...
"utilise the stream flowing through a close, called Rushy close at Sandbed, with goit and dam etc as is necessary for turning the stream for the newly erected mill of John Scholefield".
The mill was still being utilised for cotton in 1800. But by this time the ownership of the mill had become divided amongst several Scholefields following the death of John. Some of these shares had been mortgaged, and the history of the mill to 1814 is uncertain.
By 1814 the mill was worked by James Shaw of Dale, a clothier and prominent local woollen manufacturer (See Old Tame Mill, for other interests). The actual purpose now of Hull Mill is uncertain. Directories describe Shaw as a scribbler, and fuller, and as Old Tame Mill had been a fulling mill, it is possible that he used Hull Mill for scribbling.
The 1835 Church Rates Book lists him as the owner still, together with a store. He carried on some of his business at his house at Dale and by 1852 was owner-occupier of both mills and the house at Dale.
In 1861 Isaac Brierley was reported as "a wool carder and spinner at Hull Mill".
In 1870, the rateable value was £75/14/0, so the mill is still relatively small, and by 1871, it was being used to make hand made bricks.
Worrall's 1875 Directory lists Watson and Longley as "Memo spinners" at Hull Mill.
In 1880 Wrigley and Broadbent occupied the mill, for shawl manufacture, until 1885.
The mill was for sale in 1882, but withdrawn. The Reporter described the mill on 29th November 1890 as "empty and desolate".
As the mill appeared in its latter years, as a dyeing and bleaching establishment.